Monday, September 28, 2015

One Man

It is amazing to see how one single man is able to create such joy. He attracted thousands upon
thousands of people of all races and religious backgrounds to galvanize around a common ideal. His followers clapped and cheered with the ecstasy that comes with the release of long held pent-up emotion and everyone seemed so happy. A record number of people watched him this week on national TV.  Even longtime doubters who had previously lost faith are returning to the fold in record numbers. No, I'm not talking about Pope Francis. I'm talking about Justin Fuente.

Did you see that game? I haven't seen a shootout like that since Waco. Of course, I'm talking about the Memphis Tigers' 53-46 win over Cincinnati last week. It was all you could ask for in a football game- forty-five thousand screaming fans, lots of scoring and suspense, thrilling long runs and acrobatic catches, and a key interception to end the game. What a way to make their national television debut. The Liberty Bowl wasn't packed out but I'll bet it will be soon. The Fuente coached Tigers were 7-17 after the first two seasons. Now they've won eleven in a row and are averaging almost fifty points a game. I'll leave the stats to Geoff Caulkins, but most impressive for me is that the Tigers are 4-0, the only team in the nation with such a record. The last time the Tigers went 4-0 was in 1961, and risking the revelation of my decrepitude, I was there.

My father took me to the games of the then Memphis State University in Crump stadium when I was still a child. That's where I first learned to hate the Confederate flag. Ole Miss would come to town with lots of swagger and would take over the Peabody Hotel. They were drunk and obnoxious and treated Memphis like a home game. In the stadium, they would wave a sea of Stars and Bars and sing "Dixie" after every touchdown with Colonel Rebel smiling from the sidelines. The roar of that "Hotty Toddy" cheer still rings in my ears. It was among the first uses of public profanity heard in the south and parents covered their children's ears before the revolting Rebel fans yelled, "by damn." The Memphis side of the stands responded with thundering chants of "Go to hell Ole Miss, go to hell." Dad didn't object so I guessed it was alright in this context. What amazed me most was my father's reaction to a Memphis State touchdown. Not ordinarily a demonstrative man, he would leap to his feet, look at me and holler, "Whoo Hoo Hoo," several times in a row. I always found it interesting that he had such enthusiasm when it wasn't even his school. He just adopted the Tigers and passed the custody on to me.

Billy "Spook" Murphy was coach in 1961 and the quarterback was the "Golden Boy," James Earl Wright. I always smiled when I thought of what his monogrammed shirts spelled. Wright was injured and the torch was passed to Central High graduate Russell Vollmer. Both men have been inducted into the Tennessee Sports Hall of Fame. With Vollmer as quarterback, the Tigers went 26-3-1 in three seasons. Any old-timer can see the comparisons to Paxton Lynch. There's a problem, unfortunately, with Coach Fuente. How you gonna keep him down on the farm after he's seen the national spotlight? There's no question that he's already in demand at major colleges with huge football budgets, but since this is Fuente's team, wouldn't it be nice if he stayed in Memphis and built a powerhouse? Of course anything can happen, and like most fans, I'm not looking past the University of South Florida. But with an electrified fan base in Memphis, Ole Miss better watch their ass next time they come to town. Oh yeah, the Pope was a winner too.

4 comments:

  1. Go to Hell old Miss, Go to Hell !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent commentary and every word of it was not overstated. Even the part about Ole Miss fans being drunk obnoxious brutes. I know because I once was one. Paxton is one of the most effective field generals in the country, and I am saying that as a hated Ole Miss fan. I actually think that he is better than Chad Kelly. And, Vandy proved that Ole Miss is not as great as many think. They have always had trouble with prosperity and have always exhibited wildly erratic play. So, you are right about the fact that Ole Miss is beatable by Memphis. In fact, historically Memphis has given Ole Miss fits...lots of close games. You are also right when you say that Fuente may be snatched up by a bigger program that can offer him a much more lucrative contract, It seems that Memphis often loses good coaches in both football and basketball due to too much success. That is a real catch-22 for a school like Memphis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. News Alert! Rumor has it that a petition is circulating around Ole Miss to change their mascot name from the Black Bears to the Teddy Bears. And, since the Gators stomped Ole Miss like they were hapless cockroaches, the smart money in Vegas is going to be placed on Memphis when they play the Teddies. It is said that Memphis may even be favored.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Justin Fuente is on South Carolina's short list to replace Steve Spurrier, who resigned Tuesday, as head coach. If offered the job, I believe that Fuente will take it. Getting a chance to be a head coach in the SEC will be hard to turn down. Maybe if Memphis loses a few games S.C. will change their minds.

    ReplyDelete