Monday, October 15, 2018

Try Me

Y'all know me. Heaven forbid that I would use this valuable space to self-promote, mainly because I haven't had much to promote lately. But I couldn't help but notice in last week's front page story in The Memphis Flyer that there's somewhat of a kerfuffle going on concerning community radio station WEVL. This is a subject that I know a little bit about because I was a volunteer programmer at WEVL for twelve years. I left the station under somewhat less that pleasant circumstances, but it was my fault. I was playing protest and anti-war music from the sixties, and I couldn't help but draw comparisons between the arrogant decision to go to war in Vietnam and the idiotic invasion of Iraq. I was told by both the Board and  management to cease my on-air political commentaries, and I tried. But then came Hurricane Katrina and I went a little nutty. I prepared some "fight the power" music and some measured personal outrage for my first post-Katrina show and did the modern-day equivalent of locking all the doors and playing "Louie, Louie" for two hours. I thought if I had a platform, no matter the size, and failed to use it to express indignation over the complete neglect of hurricane victims in New Orleans, then I'd be a coward. Considering my longevity, I kind of thought the station would have my back, but unfortunately, I caused a couple of members to cease their contributions in protest. I had committed the cardinal sin. My show was cancelled, and I felt obligated to resign. I still continue to support the station, mainly because I have many friends there who do dedicated work that's worth supporting. Other than that, I have no idea what's going on at WEVL since I haven't set foot in the studio for thirteen years. According to the Flyer, the Board of Directors and station management haven't changed much in that time either, so I have an inkling about what the "Friends of WEVL" are trying to accomplish. But that's no longer my concern. I've returned to volunteer radio now and I'd like to tell you about it.

One of Memphis' best kept secrets is the Public Library's radio station, FM 89.3 WYPL (Your Public Library). I had assumed the station was solely for the purpose of reading to the blind, which they do and much more, but I never knew that after dark, WYPL 89.3 lights up. Daily programming consists of volunteer readings for the visually impaired, not just the daily news, but best sellers, popular magazines, and everything else from the Memphis Flyer to the New Yorker. But when the sun goes down, it's party time, utilizing the library's extensive Memphis Music Collection and much more. For your listening enjoyment, here's what's happening. Monday features guitarist and former Gentry's drummer Alan Heidelburg with "Memphis Music Memories," followed by Ron Hall and "The Roaring Sixties." Author of four books about Memphis Music, including "Playing For a Piece of the Door: A History of Garage and Frat Bands, 1960-1975," and the exhaustively researched, "Memphis: The Rock & Roll Years," which documents all the concerts that took place in Memphis from 1955 to 1985, Ron Hall plays music from every local band that ever cut a record in the sixties, such as the Guilloteens or Tommy Burk & the Counts. Tuesdays belong to the legendary Leon Griffin, veteran disc jockey, entrepreneur, former Weatherman on Good Morning Memphis, and producer/director at WHBQ TV for memorable programs like Talent Party, Studio Wrestling, and even the Happy Hal Show. Leon features music from the 70s and 80s in his "Memphis Radio-Active" show. Wednesdays spotlight the "Memphis Gospel Collection" with archivist and engineer Vance Durbin.

Are you ready for self-promotion, because Thursdays are Soul night in Memphis. That means my show, "The Memphis Soul Revue," features music not just from the world-famous local studios, but from artists that traveled with the great Rhythm & Blues package shows that played the Auditorium and the Coliseum. For many years, I've been asked when was I getting back on the radio. I'm back. Rufus Thomas said, "'The Memphis Soul Revue' is the most exciting new show on the air today." If I'm lyin', I'm dyin'. But then so is everyone else. Friday features the Sun Studio Collection with various hosts and Saturday, singer/guitarist and blues aficionado Paulette Regan hosts "Memphis Women's Music," followed by "Playing Around" with Bob Elbrecht, and former WLVS DJ Tim Mullins playing current music from our local artists. On Sunday, the "Reigning Queen of Beale Street," Ms. Barbara Blue, plays the blues on "Shout, Sister Shout."  Former FM 100 and Rock 103 DJ, Mitch McCrackin hosts the "Memphis Music Inner View," where local musicians are interviewed in depth. Musician extraordinaire Jim Spake hosts Memphis legends to discuss and listen to their music. So, just in case you were looking for an alternative to the alternative, how's that line-up fer ya? I've been there for a year now and having more fun than a dunk-tank clown. All the equipment is top-notch and Antonious Smith is the innovative engineer. Station Manager Tommy Warren is ambitious about improvements and additions and the station is streaming on the interstates. It's all financed by the Public Library, so I guess self-promotion's not bad if it's for a good cause.

Funding for both the FM station and WYPL TV Channel 18 comes from the popular twice yearly book sales and support from the Friends of the Library, a non-profit, charitable organization that has existed since 1962. Last year, the group raised $400 thousand from the May and October sales of books, CDs, and DVDs, and through the library's bookstore, Second Editions," which offers gently used books from donors and the library. I just bought "Hitch-22," a memoir by Christopher Hitchens, for three bucks. The Friends give free books to Juvenile Court, the Shelby County Jail, Wounded Warriors and other worthy groups, they fund all adult programs at eighteen different public library locations, they've created an online bookstore through Amazon, and they established the Community Art Academy for kids in conjunction with the University of Memphis. They have volunteers that have been there as long as forty years. If you're like me, I must have driven past the Central Library a thousand times, always intending to stop. It's not just an architectural marvel, there's more going on in there than you can imagine. Plus, they have a wonderful music collection, which brings me back to my self-promotion. Turn off the exhausting news and tune me in on FM 89.3 Thursdays at 7:00pm (c) instead. I mean, where else are you going to hear Bo Diddley and the 5 Royales?

 

1 comment:

  1. You have one beautiful ministry my brother. Rufus & Dewey would be proud. I know the Geeker is. The Peace of the Lord!

    ReplyDelete