Monday, December 8, 2014

A Soulful Christmas

'Tis the season to be jolly. I don't mean to be a curmudgeon and fire the opening shots in this year's War on Christmas, but the expression, "'Tis the season," grates on my nerves, and that's all you're going to see in every commercial and advertisement from now until Christmas. Even in editorials and and TV talk shows, someone will inevitably say, "'Tis the season." We don't say, ''Tis nice to meet you," or, "'Tis a beauteous evening," without deserving a backhand across the cheek with a leather glove. But we say it when we see a co-worker get schnockered at the office Christmas party. He doesn't get on all fours and bray like a jackass all the time but, 'tis the season. The expression excuses all manner of bad behavior. Some highly-strung doomsday prepper is bound to get drunk at the family dinner and send a child running from the room screaming, "Mommy, Mommy, Uncle Jim-Bob is hitting Uncle Ned in the head with a lead pipe," and she will answer, "Well, 'tis the season."

But that's not what I wanted to talk about. When we began to witness the law of diminishing returns regarding Christmas cards and ceased the practice, I sent around a CD compilation of what I believe are the greatest soulful Christmas songs. Now that the CD is extinct, I figure if I gave you a list, you kids today with your downloading and your e-phones, could probably find them on the MeTube and put together some mellow tunes to hear on your iRod. Then turn it up so everyone can enjoy a violence-free Christmas, lost in a winter wonderland of the mind. Forget your Frank Sinatra, your Perry Como and your Johnny Mathis. This is a different thing. So, here 'tis:

1. The Christmas Song, by Nat "King" Cole. The most elegant Christmas song and singer OF ALL TIME. Written by Mel Torme, who used to remind his audience of that fact every chance he got. But then, who wouldn't? The standard by which all other Christmas songs are measured. I could listen to this one all year.

2. This Christmas, by Donnie Hathaway. My personal favorite, even though listening to Donnie Hathaway sometimes makes me cry. Love the musical hook with the horns and the jingle bells. Can't do better than this one.

3. White Christmas, by the Drifters. Never mind "Der Bingle." The Drifters' doo-wop version with Clyde McPhatter is delightful and unforgettable. I've heard rumors that every time this song is played, Irving Berlin rolls over in his grave.

4. Merry Christmas, Baby, by Charles Brown, who sings, "I haven't had a drink this morning, but I'm all lit up like a Christmas tree." The most laid-back of all Xmas songs. There are also good versions by Elvis and Otis Redding, but Charles Brown is the real deal.

5. I'll Be Home For Christmas, by Al Green. There are many great interpretations of this song, but the Reverend Al takes it to church, where he usually is anyway.

6. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas, by Lou Rawls. Big band, swing style. When Lou sings in that baritone voice, you've got to groove, whatever your method may be. A real finger-popper. After listening, you'll say, "Yeahh, that's what I'm talkin' about."

7. Let it Snow, by Aaron Neville. An old tune refreshingly sung in the Neville brother's unique, jaunty, (I used the word "jaunty,") style. Extremely danceable. Stop looking for other versions. You'll thank me.

8. God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen, by Take 6. The worlds greatest acapella group adds a few musicians, specifically the Yellowjackets. Both vocal and musical arrangements on this track are amazing. You've never heard this song done this way before, but it will sure stay with you..

9. Gee Whiz, It's Christmas, by Carla Thomas. Upbeat and filled with joyous teenage innocence, and it's our Queen, for gosh sakes. This is my wife's favorite song, and Melody asked me to say, "We love you Carla." We really do.

10. Santa, Go Straight to the Ghetto, by James Brown. If anybody's going to tell the truth, it's the Godfather, who sings, "You know that I know what you will see/ 'Cause that was once me." And, "Never thought I'd realize/ I'd be singing a song with water in my eyes." Did I mention that it was also funky? Mr. Dynamite died on Christmas day, 2006, so every year we dust off the Walgreen's dancing and singing James Brown figure, give him fresh batteries, and place him in a place of prominence in what passes for Christmas decorations at our house, so he can do the Camel Walk.

You could add to this group the entire scandalous 1957 Elvis' Christmas Album, and, A Christmas Gift to You from Phil Spector, which is a terrific record, but knowing the guy's doing life for murder makes it all a little creepy to listen to now. It's like receiving a flowery wedding announcement from Charles Manson. There are so many more great songs, but I wanted to get this out to you early so you can begin preparing your playlist for the family festivities. I'm sure you can steal them anywhere. 'Tis the season.

7 comments:

  1. What about 'Happy Xmas (War is Over)' by John and Yoko and the Plastic Ono Band? Are you still hating on Yoko for breaking up the Beatles?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the list. I added some of this music to my Christmas playlist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks RAAAndy...If i knew how to download I would be following your lead!! Still lost in a Hedgemore time warp. Happy Happy and love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. O My Flying Spaghetti Monster! Listening to WDIA over the Internet Saturday, I heard "At Christmas Time" by another Memphis Randy with the last name Brown. I'm sure you know of whom I speak. Love the recording. Interested in finding a copy, I thought of trying to contact you or Stax or the computer at WDIA but all I did was search for Randy Brown's song on line. Turns out, the only reasonable available source is that MeTube and possibly a 45 rpm vendor in the UK, I am too old to learn how to capture it. the song on 'Tube and never mind ordering a 45 from across the pond. Is there a way you could use your sizeable influence to get the Stax museum or Brown himself to release a Chirstmas (THERE, I wrote it) CD including this catchy Memphis Soul Tune? Desperate in Burtonsville.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Every Day is Christmas - GIVE
    Every Day is Thanksgiving - Be Grateful
    Every Day is Your Birthday - Celebrate Your Life

    Ludor

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cripes! What a list! I haven't heard the Take 6 version, 'tis but a click away, though.
    Thanks so much especially for that second paragraph.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ev'rywhere it's Christmas,
    Ev'rywhere it's song.
    London, Paris, Rome and New York,
    Tokyo, Hong Kong.
    Oh, ev'rywhere it's Christmas,
    And i'm off to join the cheer!
    Ev'rywhere it's Christmas,
    At the end of ev'ry year!
    Oh, ev'rywhere it's Christmas,
    At the end of ev'ry year!
    I said that ev'rywhere it's Christmas,
    At the end of ev'ry year!
    One more time now!
    Ev'rywhere it's Christmas,
    At the end of ev'ry year!

    ReplyDelete